Friday, May 9, 2008

Notes from PLA

This was my first PLA. In fact, it was my first opportunity to attend a national or state conference. The idea that over 9000 individuals cared enough about public library service to travel to a single location was empowering and thrilling at the same time.
What I did:
I attended a number of formal sessions including the inspirational opening session presented by John Woods and Paula Poundstone’s lighthearted closing session. I loved how she was able to look for the double meaning in each audience comment. I looked around the room to see several thousand tired but energized library people laughing until the tears ran down their cheeks.
Other favorite sessions included:
· The Columbus Metropolitan Library’s session, Get Off Your Seat and on Your Feet, Proactive Reference Customer Service
This session described how one library system decided to change how they delivered reference service. The concept of the roving librarian was implemented in different branches in varying ways, allowing local staff to tailor the concept to meet customer needs. The new mini-reference desks were innovative and creative. See http://www.placonference.org/handouts/1013_177Korenowsky_Christopher__116074_Mar05_2008_Time_104804AM.pdf
And http://www.placonference.org/handouts/1013_177Korenowsky_Christopher__116074_Mar05_2008_Time_104945AM.pdf
· Looking Inside: Adapting Staffing for Results @ Your Public Library
This session examined how the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library re-examined collection development work routines for quicker delivery of materials to customers.
· What I really meant was…
An interesting look at communication presented by colleagues who are also close friends, Gail Johnson and Pam Parr, discuss how we present our ideas may be as important as what we are trying to convey.
http://www.placonference.org/handouts/1013_319Johnson_Gail__116136_Mar12_2008_Time_105146AM.ppt
· Talking without Jargon: Improving Library/IT Relations
These soon-to-be-married colleagues, Robert Cullin and Kimberly Bolan, looked at the communications problems that often exist between library and IT staff. Suggestions included developing cross-functional teams that include IT professionals, breaking down attitude barriers and focusing on customer service. This was a very valuable session.

What I learned:
Public libraries are dynamic, living and growing organisms. We are adjusting to change in our staffing, clientele, services, modes of delivery and resources. We work with customers in large and small cities, and in suburban and rural areas, too. The more able we are to accept change as a continuum, rather than as service -disrupting force, the more powerful we become.

What I enjoyed:
I enjoyed the opportunity to talk with colleagues in a more informal setting. Thinking and talking about library issues with librarians from our own system and other locations was refreshing and rejuvenating. Being away from the day-to-day issues of home and work fostered an open learning environment.

What surprised me?
I was surprised at the number of 1-person libraries there are in the United States: Libraries serving a single town, township, or school district with a single professional librarian and limited support staff. These kinds of libraries, if they can afford internet technology, may be better able to answer customer questions than they had been in the era of print only libraries.

What I would do differently:
· In advance of the conference, I would read more of the information that overfilled my electronic and paper mailboxes. Many of the mailings had information about events that were not mentioned in the official program and email. Thanks to colleagues, I did not miss the opportunity to attend a Gale luncheon presentation about their new databases.

· I would be less timid. The idea of talk tables terrified me. Next time I will choose a table talk topic, prepare and go!

· Try to stay closer to the convention center. Our hotel was not within walking distance of downtown. This curtailed our ability to explore before or after shuttle time.

· Try to make time to see more of the city. I would plan way in advance: I did not realize the tours would fill weeks ahead of the conference

· Visit the exhibits more strategically: I spent a lot of time deciding what sessions I would attend, but did not plan my exhibit visits. I did decide in advance not to take bags of “free stuff,” that I would not be able to carry home.

No comments: