Friday, November 16, 2007

Books for the Beast 10/27/07

Interesting findings from this Young Adult conference:

Author Gail Giles was the keynote speaker. She writes children's horror/suspense fiction. Her presentation was humorous and interesting, and I'd really like to try reading one of her books.



I attended two discussion groups: Multicultural Books, and Real Life. We discussed five books in each group. Who Am I Without Him(African-American girl/boy relationships) by Sharon Flake, A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life(judaism and adoption) by Dana Reinhardt, and American Born Chinese(a graphic novel) by Gene Yang, were favorites of our Multicultural group.



Boy Proof by Cecil Castelluci and Girl Stories (graphic novel) by Lauren Weinstein were favorites of the our Real Life group.



Mark Siegel, the chief editor at First Second publishing, spoke about The Art of Graphic Novels. He was a very captivating speaker, and he made me want to explore and read more graphic novels. He illustrated the graphic novel To Dance. His wife, a former ballerina with Balanchine's American Ballet Theater, is the author of this autobiographical novel. Hopefully we will purchase some First Second titles. One is American Born Chinese, which we own.



Most importantly, I picked up some wonderful young adult reader's advisory lists: Historical Fiction, Multicultural, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Suspense/Horror, Non-fiction and Real Life; plus Books Too Good To Miss, 2005-2007. Send me the teens!



I had a great time. Thanks for sending me!



Kathryn Gower, Children's Librarian

Rockville Library

No comments: